Patterns and castings were supplied by Athy Co-op Foundry for the restoration of this 18th century windmill at Blennerville, Co. Kerry.
The patterns are on display inside the windmill.
Blennerville Windmill was built about 1800 by Sir Rowland Blennerhassett, an English settler, after whom Blennerville vilage is named.
The mill was a thriving concern with granaries and storehouses nearby. In its heyday, the windmill was used for grinding corn for both the local population and for export to Britain.It was ideally placed near to the quayside of the canal from the mouth of Tralee Bay to the edge of the town.
The windmill fell into disuse about 1850 and became the victim of the many storms sweeping in from the Atlantic.
When Tralee Urban Council purchased the windmill it had become completely derelict and structurally unsound. The Council and the newly-formed Blennerville Committee decided to stabilise and restore it, with the primary aim of restoring it as a tourist attraction.